Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Sorry....I know...it's been a while.

I know...it's been a long time since I've posted. I don't have a good excuse...just procrastination. I'll try to be better.

As most of you know, I've made a few good friends here that went to school with Nick. When moving to a new area, especially a small town where the "new people in the Smith house" have lived there for twenty years, making friends can be hard. So, I'm very thankful for the friendship that they've extended to me and how they include me in some of their activities with other young women in the area. One of my favorites is the monthly Bunco group. The best part about our Bunco group is that we've never once played Bunco! It's just good food, good drinks, and good conversation! I look forward to it each month.

Over Christmas, two of my new friends, Allison and Jennifer, and I decided to have a progressive dinner. It was so much fun...and so much work! But, well worth it!


I was quite proud of my Red Velvet Cupcakes. It's the dessert I make that Nick says turns out great every time. I even did the fancy icing with a cake decorator kit I had gotten for a wedding gift. We also had a chocolate cake with hot fudge sauce, a pumpkin cheesecake roll, and a chocolate turtle pie. The chocolate turtle pie was the big hit, though.


Appetizers were at Allison's house. Sorry, I forgot to take my camera inside! Allison is sitting to Nick's right at the table. Dinner was at Jennifer's house. Jennifer and her husband Kurt live in an old brick Victorian that has been in her family for generations. They are restoring it room by room, and I just love it! Jennifer is my friend that I could talk to for hours on end about paint colors and ornate woodwork!


Jennifer's mom and aunt volunteered to 'serve' us dinner. As much work as I thought the desserts were, Jennifer's efforts trumped mine by far. She had wine, the best homemade dinner rolls, and actual printed name cards with menus. This is Katie, another member of our Bunco group.

7 comments:

Grandma Budke said...

What fun!!!I always thought it would be great to have a group to share in a progressive dinner,but I've never had the good luck or the set of people to make it happen
at the same time, I guess.

Anonymous said...

Aren't bunko groups fun?? Christy Burks makes fun of me for being in Bunko, she says it's for old people, I just tell her that we weren't old when we started it in 1986. 21 years in bunko and proud of it!!

Aunt Gail

Anonymous said...

How fun is that! I would love to take part in one of these progressive dinners! What fun and the food looks and sounds wonderful!!

Kim

Anonymous said...

It all looks so fancy! Too bad we all don't live closer to eachother so we could do those, but, pretty sure we'd just get lazy and decide it's way too much work and we would end up sitting around drinking and playing cards. But how fun!!

Kendall

Cydil said...

okay, I must live under a rock, but what is bunco?

Anonymous said...

I don't know...we've never played!

Just kidding...it's a dice game. My mom used to play it with friends growing up. Does that mean that I'm officially old if you're doing things that your mom did when she was little?!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I didn't play bunco when I was little/growing up!! I played it when my girls were little and growing up!! It's just a fun game that takes no mental power at all. You just throw dice, first trying to get ones, then twos, then threes, etc. (if I remember correctly). Since it takes no mental power, you can chat and/or snack the whole time you're playing! And yes, Kelly, it still means you're getting old!!!!