Saturday, March 8, 2008

Day 5 Report...and a big treat!

Day 5 (Friday) went fine. Not to sound like a broken record, but breakfast was two eggs, soup and carrots at ten, turkey sandwich and fruit around two, ran two miles over lunch.

The big break in the schedule was for supper. Now, I know I was raised on a farm and all, but after living in larger towns for the majority of twelve years, moving to Shelby County has been a bit of an adjustment for me. Moving anywhere where there wasn't a Panera nearby was life-altering...and don't get me started on how much I miss the restaurant Granite City. So, when Nick and I got married, and I moved down here, I had to resign myself to the fact that the Cracker Barrel was going to be it (OK, I'm being a little sarcastic here, but it's my story!).

Then, a year ago, a couple from California opened a restaurant in Effingham called the Firefly Grill. With it's loft-like feel on a lake (aka water retension basin), it felt so super-swank! I went there with Nick's mom and we loved it, but when we went for Nick's birthday, Nick's food was horrible, as was our service, and he didn't want to go back. I was so upset. Six months later, I convinced him to try their Sunday brunch after church. They redeemed themselves a little. Last week we ended up there again with Nick's brother and sister-in-law, and we both had this pork tenderloin with this great sauce on it...it was fabulous. Now we're addicts! We went again last night...pork tenderloin again, spaghetti squash, their yummy bread. It was all so good!



So, didn't really stick to the diet last night, but I don't care! It was SO worth it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you went out and ate a nice meal. It was sounding to me like you were cutting back a little too much. Did you see my comment about getting Brea's soup recipes? I'd like to try them! Mom

Nick and Kelly McCormick said...

I'll forward them to you. She actually forwarded me a document with all of the Harms/Nelson family recipes in it! Yum!

Anonymous said...

Kelly--
I feel your pain on the lack of Panera and Granite City...remember...I lived in HAYS, KS!!!

I'm excited to be back to civilization and near both restaurants, though I expect to frequent each much less now that there are two kids ;)

Anderson said...

I hear you, too! We have good restaurants in Bemidji, but of course, most of our favorites are an hour and a half away in Grand Forks or two hours away in Fargo. I guess it's probably better for us. We'd likely eat out more often if they were nearer.
I think a treat now and then is fine! Just keep your eye on the prize...smokin' hot in Vegas!

Anonymous said...

Did you lose so much that you've
lost your ability to follow up after just one week, Kelly????
Wait til you get your birthday card
from Grandma!!!That shows you what
you need!!Heee,Heee!!
Just kidding and good luck in Vegas!
Love, Grandma Budke