Monday, November 15, 2010

It's THAT Time of Year!!!

Yes, everyone, it's THAT time of year! Because my family celebrates our Christmas at Thankgiving (aka Thanks-Christmas to those of you newbies to the blog), I start getting into the holiday spirit, let's say, around October 1st. :) Maybe it's all the family portrait sessions that I know will end up on Christmas cards...maybe it's the down comforter on my bed...or maybe it's all the cinnamon and pine candles that begin appearing on the Yankee Candle shelves at stores. In any case, I mentally begin my holiday season.

Some people's choice of music is R&B, Country, or Pop...mine is Christmas. I'm still waiting to be asked to be a guest judge on some Christmas music awards that I just know will exist at some point. Every year, I try to add a bit to my Christmas classics. If you weren't a blog reader last year, you can click here to get the full list of classics from years past. And, here are my picks so far this year.

  • Merry Chrismas, Baby by Nicole C. Mullen
  • Lamb of God by Nicole C. Mullen......oh my gosh, I'm in LOVE with this song and listen to it nonstop!!!.....and it's not what you'd expect at all as far as beat, but I LOVE the message and visuals.
  • Redeemer by Nicole C. Mullen....yes, not a Christmas song, but I have it on my Christmas playlist, and really, shouldn't all Christmas music be Christian music and vice versa????!!! Anyway, this song gets to me....in like a bring-a-tear-to-my-eye way. Excellent message in reminding us that God is in control.
  • I Need a Silent Night by Amy Grant....yes, no list would be complete without Amy on the list! Fun, upbeat tune that reminds us, again, of what Christmas should be about.

And, because blog posts aren't fun without a bit of eye candy, just wanted to let everyone know that my sister Kim has uploaded a selection of her custom Christmas cards to my site! Take a peak and see if there are any you like....you might just be the featured family in one or two of them as well!!

You can access the cards by going to http://kellymccormickphotography.com > Clients > Password "Christmas".

And, as a means of contributing to my annual Christmas music post, Kim says do not buy the new Sheryl Crowe Christmas CD...in her words, it echoes her last name. :)

Happy Holidays!!

Kelly

8 comments:

Jen Robinson said...

If this was facebook I would be "liking" this post. :)

I have been listening to Christmas music for a month now...and I put up my tree and a few decorations this past Thursday. Mostly b/c I am going to be very busy on weekends and I didn't know when I would have time...and I was off of work for Veterans Day! But I am enjoying sitting with my fireplace going and the tree all lit up! :)

Thanks for sharing your music selections. If you haven't found another "What Child Is This?", I like the Andrea Bocelli/Mary J. Blige duet. Maybe I shared that with you last year. Haha!

One of my other favorites is "Born on Christmas Day" by Brad Paisley. He wrote it when he was a kid. It gives me a tear...

Anyways---have a great Thanks-Christmas! I will be thinking of you all!!!

Love
~Jen

Brittany said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only "weirdo" who has started to listen to Christmas music early! My ipod has been FULL of it for a good two weeks now and the people at work think I'm nuts. But really, starting after Thanksgiving is just NOT enough time! (Especially when Thanks-Christmas is now an official holiday nobody should be penalizing me - even if I don't actually participate) :)

Since my parents went to see Straight No Chaser not too long ago, I've added a few of their albums to my mix this year and so far they've been good. Since I mostly listen at work (for now) and I'm doing other things I'm not paying as much attention as I'd like so I can't recommend anything specific there. My classics always are.... Amy Grant, Amy Grant, Amy Grant...then John Denver and the Muppets (I know, I know. Blame my parents). And right now I'm in LOVE with James Taylor's Christmas stuff - Jingle Bells is currently my fav but it's bound to change any day :)

Anonymous said...

Brittany! I almost bought the James Taylor album, but went with the Sheryl Crowe instead! I'll be sure to pick it up next time I'm shopping!

Kim


And, even though it's not a Christian Christmas song, Barbara Streisand's Jingle Bells is always a fun one to sing along with - after some practice of course!

Anonymous said...

Okay, just realized how ironic it is that Barbara has a Christmas album - isn't she Jewish? Maybe not. Maybe I'm wrong.

Kim

Nick and Kelly McCormick said...

You're right, Kim...she is!

Rhiannon said...

The Barbara being a Jew comment just made my freakin' day, I'm veklempt ... talk amongst ya'selves. A little known fact, I have a rabbi on one of my cabinets at work :)

Anonymous said...

She must have a "Winter" album or a "Holiday" album.

Anonymous said...

Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

- Daniel