Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Grandma Rankin

This past weekend my Grandma Rankin passed away. It's a blessing. She's had Alzheimers for ten years and the past several she has basically been catatonic. Thank you to everyone that's sent me a note or email...they have all been very much appreciated. Grandma Rankin was a dear, wonderful person, and she will be greatly missed.

As my dad and his siblings finish up making funeral arrangements, I began thinking of the eulogy. As Grandma has been in a nursing home for the past ten years in Minnesota, the pastor at our church in our hometown has never met her or knew who she was. I would never be able to make it through giving the eulogy, but if I could, this is what I would say about my Grandma Rankin...

  • She wore red polyester shirts with pink polyester pants. And, on Sundays during the summer, she wore white, open-toed sandals...with pantyhose.

  • She was a horrible cook. Really, she was. My dad tells the story of her making him tomato soup when he was sick. It was a tomato floating in hot milk. However, she could make good pancakes, and that's what she would make us for supper when we stayed with her. And, we thought that was the neatest thing ever: breakfast food for supper. And, she taught us to put peanut butter on our pancakes.


  • She was a career-woman. She both taught elementary school and served as Superintendent during her career. I don't know if this is true...maybe I'm imagining it, but I thought I remember someone telling me once that she would make the students pray in the cafeteria before lunch.


  • In her basement, she kept boxes and boxes of old teaching materials and books. She let us go through them and use anything she had when we wanted to play school at her house.


  • I probably owe part of my love of reading to her. She taught me to read when I was four years old.


  • She could make the smallest objects HUGE games. She had this tiny shell on a shelf, and we'd play the 'hot/cold' game with it for hours.


  • She was the oldest of four siblings. She put herself through school by being a nanny. She then paid for the next sibling to go to college, and he the next one, and then the next one...until all four had graduated from college.


  • After watching the movie "Annie" she made us mush to eat just like the orphans.


  • After getting engaged to Grandpa, she started saving her money for a dining room set. She bought it one chair and piece at a time. My great grandparents bought her the very last piece as a wedding gift to complete the set...the buffet. That is the set that's in my living room.


  • She was a woman of great faith and knowledge of the bible. For many years, she taught the 7th grade confirmation class at our church.


  • When you walked into her house, she would always greet you with, "Well...how do, how do, how do!"


  • She was the type of grandma that cousins on the other side and most of my best friends all called "Grandma Rankin." She was Grandma to all.

Every time I've turned the TV on over the last few days, there's something on about Michael Jackson's death. All those people crying who have never met or known him have driven me crazy. But, now I kind of understand them. They're crying for what used to be...some nostalgia from their childhood...memories of a more carefree time.

Sorry for such a melancholy post, but as my sisters and I talk about Grandma this week, little memories keep popping up, and we all smile and laugh at what we had forgotten about her! I know many of my cousins check the blog and would maybe want to read through the list above too!

Here's my favorite picture of me and Grandma in more recent years.






It's 10:47 pm, and I just received a copy of this picture in my inbox from one of my cousins...yep, pink shirt and red pants. :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay...so I totally teared up...thanks for writing that Kelly-I kept thinking about more things that could be written that happened during my years with her!! Like mac and cheese-with hot dogs or california medley mixed in! Thanks so much Kelly!

Love
Kendall

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
I am at my desk right now with tears in my eyes. I can totally relate to all of your comments about your Grandma. It's funny how certain things about people you love seem small until you lose them, and then those small things become the things you miss the most. I feel very lcuky to live in my Grandma's house, and I find things all the time there that remind me of her.
I will say a prayer for you and your family, and hope those fun memories help you not be so sad.
Love, ERIN :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting those Kelly! I also teared up! I would like to add how you could hear her soap opera while we were playing in the basement and the only thing I can remember her yelling was, "Don't slam the basement door!"

Love - Kori

Kelly said...

Don't you mean her "stories"...not her soap opera! I should have added that I remember watching Bobbie Ewing on Dallas getting ran over with Grandma!

Grandma Cooper said...

I was reading these out loud to Emma and couldn't continue reading because of the tears!! I have to say in her defense, however, that she could make a great beef roast with potatoes and carrots! But also, if you were invited to her house sort of last minute for a meal, she would say, "I'll put a potato on for you!" (I always wondered what she would say if I asked for two potatoes or at least one large one!!!!) And she did make great chocolate chip cookies, although we did eat a lot of the dough if she wasn't looking!

And as far as the blessing being said at school before the noon meal, I was there many times during Christmas program rehearsals and yes, they did say the Common Table Prayer before they ate!!

Sara T said...

Kelly - this is a very touching post. I don't know you personally or your family and it brought tears to my eyes! You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers during your time of loss. Your grandma sounds like a great lady!

Sara T

LiveLoveRodeo said...

I just remember playing in the basement for HOURS - I don't even know what we did for that long? I also remember watching The Sound of Music over & over & over again...but we never got to the end, we always got bored & headed back downstairs.
My prayers are with you guys, Grandma Rankin was a sweet lady!

Anonymous said...

You totally made me cry! I hate being emotional!!! It's amazing how after someone passes, you always remember these crazy, quirky habits they had! Never forget them because they are what made your grandma special. I'll be praying for you guys!!!

Carolyn

Brittany said...

I'm sorry we're not going to be in town to go to the visitation later this week but know that we're thinking of all you girls. I don't have a lot of memories of Grandma Rankin (and yes even if she wasn't our grandma that is what we called her! LOL) but I do remember playing in that basement for hours on end doing who knows what - I can't remember even one thing! What was great was that we were always welcome there and we never thought twice about being in her home. She will be missed.

Anonymous said...

Thankyou Kelly I could never have put it better. I can hardly type this because of the tears. She was a great lady and I miss her so much. Love Dad

Rankin Family said...

ahw! I have also been very touched by Grandma Rankin, she was the very first Rankin I ever meet! and I loved seen her when I cam into work, she would sing such fun and nice songs and rub my hand and say yes, yes..
tear...
When I would talk with here and say names of the family her eyes would light up, she knew who i was talking about and always had a chuckle for me when I would say you know those men and their farming.
We had a great weekend with you all, wish it would have lasted longer!!
Thank you for letting me be a part of the family and for caring for her for so many years!
Hugs
Amy