Saturday, April 5, 2014

With "Friends" Like These...

It's that time of year again.

All summer I've been thinking about getting the running shoes out and starting up again. In another life, I used to run a lot. I even ran half of the Chicago marathon once with a good friend. But, after losing a toenail (literally), I swore I would never do that again, and besides, it's like another friend pointed out to me, "You don't see people smiling when they cross the finish line of a marathon...their faces are faces of pain."

So, the other day, when I got a Facebook invite to the Strasburg 5k on October
16th from a 'friend', I thought to myself, "Arghhh...what a horrible reminder of what I've NOT accomplished this year." So, I'm thinking that this 'friend' isn't really a very good friend. She's perhaps more like my 'friends' that send me birthday cards every year. They think they're being such great friends, but really all they're doing is reminding me that I didn't send them a birthday card. And, then it makes me feel really bad...on my birthday of all days. If they were REAL friends, they wouldn't acknowledge my birthday, right?!! So, right now I'm sitting here at my computer and trying to figure out what I've done to wrong this
5k 'friend' that she would want to get revenge on me by reminding me what a fitness loser I've been this year and how I haven't met my goals at all. I had great intentions...I downloaded all my favorite running songs onto my i-pod....I asked and received a new treadmill for Christmas. Sadly, though, my 18 month daughter has gotten more exercise from it than I have...she likes to step up and down, up and down, up and down on it while I'm folding laundry or typing on the computer. Hmmmm....now, not only has this 'friend' made me acknowledge my lack of exercise, but now I'm feeling like a horrible mom as well!

So, because this 'friend' has guilted me into this via a Facebook invite (she's really subtle in her revenge for my unknown wrongdoings), I got out the running shoes this week, charged up the ipod, and hit the road Monday night. I ran a mile....Don Telgmann passed me on the tractor twice...so, he can attest that I was out running. On Tuesday and Wednesday I couldn't walk from the pain. So, I had the thought that perhaps I needed to start a little slower and run in intervals. So, I tore out the below out of one of my fitness magazines (because, like most non-exercisers, I have all the gear, magazines, junk, etc....just not the ambition evidently). I'm going to attempt to follow it....just in time to run that Strasburg 5K. Maybe I'll blog about it occasionally...if it's going well, of course.

In any case, if anyone's looking for a running partner, let me know...another 'friend' was my running partner from last year, and she was so desperate to get out of training with me for this year's 5k that she got pregnant.

With 'friends' like these, who needs enemies?!!! ;)





No comments: