Thursday, December 5, 2013

Christmas Music

I love Christmas music. I can listen to it year-round...and my husband hates that! I like to think of it as Christian music instead of just holiday music. Every year I get so excited for the new Christmas CD's to be released. I buy them hoping that there will some new version of "Oh Holy Night" or "Joy to the World" that will become my new favorite version (since I probably own 20 versions of each of the classics). It is rare that I find a new favorite, but every year I try and try. This year my big addition to the Christmas collection was Faith Hill's new Christmas CD. Let's just say I was underwhelmed by it. It's fine and all, but a little overdone for my taste.

I was talking with a friend about some of my favorites...who I think does which song best...which songs aren't well known but are still favorites of mine to sing along with in my car...and so I decided to post that list on my blog. If I was really famous, I am sure I-tunes would publish my list....someday I am sure that will happen. Until then, here are my picks if you're wanting to download some Christmas music to get you ready for next week!!!


  1. Oh Holy Night - I love two versions of this song...the one by Jewel and also by The Judds. I tend to think that Jewel grew up going to church. A lot of her pop songs have Christian symbolism in the lyrics ("There's a dead end to my left, a burning bush to my right"), and her Christmas CD honestly has some of the best traditional hymns on it.


  2. Welcome to Our World - Amy Grant - This song has the BEST imagery..."Fragile fingers sent to heal us/tender brow prepared for thorns/tiny heart whose blood will save us/unto us is born."


  3. The Christmas Hymn - Amy Grant - sometimes when I'm in my car, I imagine singing the verses with a huge choir behind me singing like the choir on this song. Yep, I just admitted that to the world.


  4. A Mighty Fortress is Our God/Angels We Have Heard on High - Amy Grant - I love this melody of the two songs together.


  5. Oh Come All Ye Faithful - Amy Grant - very simple arrangement with just a guitar. Yes, lots of Amy Grant on the list. I love most of her Christmas music.


  6. Little Drummer Boy - Jessica and Ashlee Simpson - I know, I know. Surprising appearance on the list, but I do really like their version of the song...I never even really liked the song until I head their version.


  7. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings - Barenaked Ladies with Sarah McLachlan - I normally don't like untraditional arrangements of classic hymns, but I love this version. I actually like almost anything by Sarah McLachlan. I think her voice is like velvet (download Sarah's duet with Cyndi Lauper singing "Time After Time...it's like going back and forth between velvet and cardboard!)which leads me again to...


  8. Wintersong by Sarah McLachlan - Not a hymn, but I still love this song.


  9. In a Bleak Mid-Winter by Sarah McLachlan - this version was the first time I had ever heard this song. The words make me think of what a cold and dark night Christ's birth could have really been and that the important thing is to bring not only what we have but also who we are to Christ.

  10. What Child is This - Right now my favorite version is by the Judds, but I'm not thrilled with it...it's just that not many singers choose to record this song. If anyone knows of a better version, I'm open to suggestions!!

No comments: